[smokeping-users] how to enforce username/password logons to access smokeping

Murray Davis murray.g.davis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 20:26:14 CET 2012

Thank you to Peter and Dan for their replies. After reading Peter's
response, I started looking at Apache's documentation and got things
working. As I was about to respond to the list server, I noticed Dan's
response which basically confirmed my approach. Here goes:

Step 1: Created an apache username:

htpasswd -c /etc/apache2/passwords smokeping

Step 2: Modified the smokeping config file.../etc/apache2/conf.d/smokeping

ScriptAlias /smokeping/smokeping.cgi
/usr/share/smokeping/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
Alias /smokeping /usr/share/smokeping/www

<Directory "/usr/share/smokeping/www">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Files"
    AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/passwords
    Require user cacti
</Directory>

I changed AuthName from "Require Password" to "Restricted Files".

Step 3 Placed an .htaccess file in the root of smokeping's home directory.
I started with placing it in /usr/share/smokeping/www and cgi-bin, but
ended up placing it at the parent level.

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/passwords
Require user smokeping

I restarted Apache and smokeping and I am now prompted for a
username/password. Only the smokeping user gets in. If I click on the
"Cancel" button on the logon window, I am then met with an Failed
Authorization window whereas when AuthName was "Require Password", I would
be taken to the smokeping webpage.

Thanks for the help...

mgd