[smokeping-users] gid problems

Lee Elliott Lee at northarbour.com
Thu Apr 18 11:51:20 CEST 2013

I have recently installed smokeping and have both a 'master' and 'slave' system working.

However, when I installed the two instances of smokeping, on their respective servers, they installed with different uids & gids to each other.  I elected to amend the uid & gid of the 'master' instance, to bring them in line with each other, because the corresponding uid & gid was already in use on the 'slave' system.

The first problem I'm now experiencing is that when I add a new target to the master system the new location folder and rrds within are created with the old(original) gid, which no longer has any group associated with it.  When I manually correct the gid/group ownership the new targets work ok.

The second problem is that when a new target is added, smokeping sets (or attempts to set) the folder and rrd user and group ownership to the smokeping user & group but for smokeping to work properly with slaves the htmld/apache user needs access - in my case I'm setting the group ownership to the apache group i.e. www-data.  So even if I wasn't experiencing the first problem of the incorrect gid being set I'd still have to manually change the permissions anyway.

I can't see where the old gid is being picked up from - I thought I found and updated the user and group ownership of all the files owned by the smokeping user and group when I changed the smokeping uid & gid but I guess it's possible I've missed one.

LeeE