[smokeping-users] gid problems

Lee Elliott Lee at northarbour.com
Mon Apr 22 14:39:51 CEST 2013

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Lee Elliott wrote:
>
> > What I do find curious though, is that when I set the newly created
> > rrd group ownership to www-data it only needs read permissions but the
> > rrd already has world read permissions anyway!
>
> It isn't strange when you know how permissions work.  Look at the
> permissions of the parent directories.  I said that in my first email.
>
> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.

Well, considering that I've worked for nearly forty years in IT, the last eleven on Linux, I think I've got a pretty good idea of how permissions work.  FWIW, the /var/lib/smokeping parent lib has user & group rwx perms set to the smokeping user & group and rx perms for the world, which is how the Debian installation process left it.  There's nowhere in the smokeping docs that I've found that suggest any sticky bits require setting after installation (if needed, why wouldn't they be set as part of the installation process?), and although the mechanism whereby the slave communicates via the web interface was explained, I didn't see any mention of the need to grant the web user any specific permissions.

Regards,

LeeE