[smokeping-users] Changing pings count

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 04:24:36 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 05:36:52PM -0700, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> There isn't any way, other than restructuring the RRD.
>
> I've heard there are some tools that will help port data from one RRD
> to another with different row setups - but doing so is a fairly
> complicated process.

Bummer. I guess I'll need to learn the hacking process on the data, so I can
manipulate "pings=", and still keep the historical data. Because I can dump it
to XML via rrdtool(1), I'll see what I can put together.

> [On a side note - how much data does 20 pings produce, vs 5? IMO, the
> additional load is rather small, and might not be worth messing with -
> which would solve your historical data problem too.]

Currently, I'm using: "curl -4 --head http://%host%/" on 35 sites, sendings 20
pings every 300 seconds. Interestingly enough, since midnight, I have ~9300
unique rquests in my /var/log/apache2/access.log file from curl(1). 20 hours,
9300 pings, thats 7.75 pings per minute, which seems higher than the 4 per
minute it should be.

At any event, I am also monitoring 5 Tor .onion sites to watch Tor latencies
with "curl -4 --head --socks5-host localhost:9050". Because the latencies are
so horrible, it seems that doing 20 pings every 300 seconds is causing the
other curl(1) PIDs to block until they finish. I say this, because I have gaps
in all of my graphs using the Smokeping::probes::Curl probe. I'm guessing these
gaps are a result of hitting the Tor sites so hard. I should probably back off
to 10 per 300 seconds, and see where that takes me, but then I lose all my Tor
historical data (unless I can hack the RRD files).

Thoughts?

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o