[smokeping-users] Changing pings count

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Jun 13 02:36:52 CEST 2013

AT> I'm trying to get a good handle on the ping count for my installation when
AT> using curl(1). I should keep it small, so as to not hit the destination website
AT> too hard, but when adjusting it, smokeping gives an error about the different
AT> number of data sources changing in the RRD, and refuses to show the graphs. It
AT> says to remove the RRD file, and reload smokeping, but that also gives all
AT> sorts of errors.

AT> This guy has the exact same error:

AT> https://lists.oetiker.ch/pipermail/smokeping-users/2011-June/004338.html

AT> The only way for me to fix this, is to remove the RRD file, reload smokeping,
AT> add a new target, reload smokeping again, then pull up the new target in my
AT> browser, and force a refresh. This seems to force an update on all the RRD
AT> files, and fixes everything, but then I've lost my historical data.

AT> How can I change the "pings = 20" to "pings = 5" in my configs, in a clean way?

AT> Thanks,

There isn't any way, other than restructuring the RRD.

I've heard there are some tools that will help port data from one RRD
to another with different row setups - but doing so is a fairly
complicated process.

IMO, the value of keeping the old RRD's around is usually not enough
to justify reworking the data. But everyone's needs and wants are
different - so suit yourself.

But you either have to modify the RRD's and port the data, or delete
the old RRD's and let SP create new RRD's with the new row paramaters.

[On a side note - how much data does 20 pings produce, vs 5? IMO, the
additional load is rather small, and might not be worth messing with -
which would solve your historical data problem too.]

-Greg