[smokeping-users] Protecting site with .htaccess

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Aug 20 22:30:22 CEST 2014

Well, I don't have the time to setup a VM and test/re-learn apache's password directory protection just to help you out - sorry.

But, while I know you think you didn't change anything [and perhaps *you* didn't] someone or some process almost certainly did.
This is really basic functionality and I'm pretty sure it's not broken in Apache 2.2. :)

So, the proper approach is to _assume_ somehow you've borked something, and tweak things until you fix it.
An apache group, which will have a lot more knowledge on this feature, may have hints that help you get there faster - but even then - this really almost certainly has to be a user induced failure and really you'll just need to dig through it until you find it.

A final hint: is the "AllowOverride" directive set in your apache config, so you *can* use .htaccess files? [As I recall it, if not, it will simply ignore your htaccess files, which might well explain your situation. That info is in the link I posted before.]

But, posting back here isn't likely to get you any more help - not that we're all unwilling to help - just that we're busy. If it were a smokeping question - we might well have an answer or pointer on the tip of our fingers.

But since it's really an apache question, and we don't have configs like yours, it's hard to help.
So, saying it nicely, go ask Apache people, or google it.

-Greg

I looked at the .htaccess documentation and everything I have looks correct to me so this should be working. I wasn’t certain where the files needed to be placed on the server as I said before no one has touched this server in years with respect to its configuration for Apache. Hosts have been added and take away of course but that shouldn’t break anything should it?

David Thompson
Network Services Support Technician
(O) 858.357.8794
(F) 858-225-1882