[smokeping-users] Slave signing issue

sebastien.nania at free.fr sebastien.nania at free.fr
Thu Jul 17 20:29:01 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I use smokeping since some month without issue, i want to try to have the latency from an other source.
I've installed smokeping 2.6.8-2 on both systems (debian).
All seams to be ok on the master side, the process restart without any error.
On the slave system i've this error :
"WARNING: Data from **SLAVEHOSTNAME** was signed with **KEY** which does not match our expectation"

I've search during some hour and try everything i've found, at the start the version on the raspberry was not the same as the master, i've uninstall completely smokeping on the slave and force the installation of the 2.6.8-2 (the version on the master).

There is how i've configure all that, don't hesitate to say me if you see the error :

Master configuration :
File : /etc/smokeping/master_secrets
SlaveHostName:SecretWord

chmod 640 /etc/smokeping/master_secrets
chown www-data:root /etc/smokeping/master_secrets

File : /etc/smokeping/config.d/Slaves
secrets=/etc/smokeping/masters-secrets
+hostname
display_name = hostname
color=0000ff

File : /etc/smokeping/config.d/Targets
I've Added : slaves = **SlaveHostName**

Slave Configuration :
File : /etc/smokeping/slave_secret
SecretWord // Only the Secret Work

chmod 600 /etc/smokeping/slave_secret
chown smokeping:root /etc/smokeping/slave_secret

I've create a cache directory :
mkdir /var/smokeping
chown smokeping:root /var/smokeping

File : /etc/init.d/smokeping
MODE=slave
DAEMON_ARGS="" to "DAEMON_ARGS="--master-url=http://MasterIP/smokeping/smokeping.cgi" --cache-dir=/var/smokeping/ --shared-secret=/etc/smokeping/slave-secret"

After that a service smokeping restart on both (Maste First).
No error on the master but the error :
"WARNING: Data from **SLAVEHOSTNAME** was signed with **KEY** which does not match our expectation"

thanks a lot in advance for all help you could give me, i have tested all the google solution i've found but nothing works

Sebastien