[smokeping-users] Smokeping Heavy.pm

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Nov 27 23:31:46 CET 2014

Hi all,

I have just installed smokeping on CentOS6

I have some errors when I start the web page :
http://IPaddress/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?target=_charts

Software error:
Attempt to reload Carp/Heavy.pm aborted.

I have CentOS linux and perl v5.10.1 version

[root at linux Smokeping]# perl -v
This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Any idea ?

Did you install a CentOS package, or compile from sources? If compiled from sources, make sure you meet all the prerequisites  and have all required components installed before trying to run/compile Smokeping. [I'd strongly recommend installing from an RPM, if possible. It takes care of all the dependencies etc.]

If trying from sources, did you follow this page: http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_install.en.html

Some notes about carp from the pod file.
If you are using a version of Perl older than 5.8.1, you should consider
installing a newer version of CGI::Carp (must be at least 1.24, included in
CGI.pm-2.82). Otherwise any error messages generated by the CGI script
will not show up quite as clean as they could in the web server error log.
If you can't or don't want to upgrade CGI::Carp, you can also set
the C<changecgiprogramname> variable in the C<General> section to the
value C<no>.

---
Finally: Is this a clean new install of CentOS, or old? It's hard to speculate, but I see some threads with issues that appear to have less than clean installs of Perl modules with old cruft laying around and causing issues somewhat similar.

---
The short of it is: I've not seen a problem like yours that I can recall. I can't find another exact reproduction, either. So, you're going to have to do some digging. Hopefully my hints are helpful.

-Greg