[smokeping-users] Read target hostname/IP from a script's output

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Oct 30 15:13:45 CET 2014

RGRB> Hi guys.

RGRB> My goal is to monitor the latency between my LAN and my PPPoE peer (the
RGRB> concentrator). I find out the IP address of the concentrator by using
RGRB> "traceroute" in a shell script.

RGRB> How can I set up SmokePing so that instead of a fixed hostname the
RGRB> output of the above script can be used?

RGRB> I didn't find anything useful on Google, nor did I find anything in the
RGRB> docs.

RGRB> Can you please help?

RGRB> KR,

RGRB> Ralf

I see two options.

A) Use your script and extend it to re-write the target fqdn/ip in your smokeping configuration and then restart smokeping to load it.
B) Use a dynamic IP service like dyndns, and put in the dyndns fqdn in your smokeping config, and use the script to update where the dyndns FQDN points to. This will get a new dns lookup every time smokeping runs it, and so will always point at the correct target, as long as your script works.

I'm not aware of any other way to do what you want to do. And the second is, IMO, far less prone to issues.

HTH

-Greg