[smokeping-users] Smokeping and tcpPing fix for empty graphs

Áki Hermann Barkarson Aki.Barkarson at advania.is
Tue Sep 9 16:42:26 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

We had an issue when installing tcpping that it simply didn't work. After debugging we found that the configuration example included here http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/TCPPing.en.html

This "tcptraceroute = -e "sudo /bin/tcptraceroute"" is likely supposed to point to the tcptraceroute executable but the scripts for tcpping that we found aren't accepting this variable.. also the TCPPing.pm detects that variable and adds another -e infront.. so.. all we got was garble.

This is painful to debug and i saw multiple users having similar issues posting and few with any solutions.. here is what we did.

Simply place tcpping and tcptraceroute in the same folder (we used /usr/bin/) and empty the "tcptraceroute =" variable in smokeping config.

Nota bene, this still gives some weird "TCPPing: Received: GLOB(0x36ac050)" output in debug but the graphs are updating and it seems to work fine.

Our working config example:

+TCPPing

binary = /usr/bin/tcpping # mandatory
forks = 5
offset = 50%
step = 300
tcptraceroute =
timeout = 15

# The following variables can be overridden in each target section
pings = 5
port = 80

We used tcpping from: http://www.darkskies.za.net/~norman/scripts/tcpping
We used tcptraceroute from centos base repo (i think)

Optionally someone should fix this issue.. Add tcpping option to handle -e and remove -e from the configuration example (since tcpping.pm adds it

       " push @cmd, '-e', $self->{properties}{tcptraceroute};" ).

[cid:image001.png at 01CFCC3C.4645FE50]<www.advania.is>

Áki Hermann Barkarson
Sérfræðingur / Service Engineer
Grunnkerfi / Rekstrarlausnir
Direct. +354 440 9124 | Mobile. +354 863 0753
Aki.Barkarson at advania.is<mailto:Aki.Barkarson at advania.is>

Guðrúnartún 10, 105 Reykjavik, Iceland
Tel. +354 440 9000 | www.advania.is<http://www.advania.is>

[TOK laun & TOK Bókhald]<https://www.advania.is/hugbunadur-og-lausnir/vidskiptalausnir/tok-bokhald/?utm_source=Tolvupostur&utm_medium=Tolvupostur+banner&utm_campaign=TOK+Juni+2013+VM>