[smokeping-users] [BULK] Re: New probe speedtest

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at telekom.ro
Fri Jun 12 09:21:38 CEST 2015

Hello Christoph,

The probe should be copied into your smokeping installation directory -
for instance here: /opt/smokeping/lib/Smokeping/probes/.

If you don't know where it is, run locate (if available):

[adrianp at internetqualitytests ~]$ locate Curl.pm | grep
Smokeping/probes/Curl.pm
/opt/smokeping-2.6.8/lib/Smokeping/probes/Curl.pm

Make sure the pm files are readable by the smokeping user (or world
readable).

Cheers!

On 06/12/15 10:14, Christoph Bursch wrote:
> Hello Adrian,
>
> i integrated this plugin to my Probes file like your example.
>
> im currently stuck at the error:
>
> require Smokeping::probes::speedtest failed: Can't locate Smokeping/probes/speedtest.pm  <http://speedtest.pm>  in @INC (you may need to install the Smokeping::probes::speedtest module) (@INC contains: .. /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 22) line 2, <File> line 21.
> debian jessie
> perl --version
> This is perl 5, version 20, subversion 2 (v5.20.2) built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
>
> As im not a pro in smokeping i dont know where to look at now. i
> already looked for a perl speedtest module but am not sure if this is
> the right solution. also did had a look in various smokeping files but
> i dont find any place where to add this probe to.
>
> could you give me a hint what i missed out?
>
> Appreciate your work on this nice plugin!
>
> Greetings
> -chris
>
> Adrian Popa <adrian_gh.popa at telekom.ro
> <mailto:adrian_gh.popa at telekom.ro>> schrieb am Do., 11. Juni 2015 um
> 10:42 Uhr:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I'd like to share with you a new probe I've been working on -
>     integrating speedtest-cli project to work with smokeping. The idea was
>     that we needed to run some tests to get the customer's
>     "experience" when
>     using speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net> with different test
>     servers. We developed this
>     probe, and measure the upload/download rate the client's connection
>     supports.
>
>     Plugin description and examples are here:
>
>     https://github.com/mad-ady/smokeping-speedtest
>
>     There is a bit of a deviation from standard plugins - meaning it
>     ignores
>     the pings variable and does only one test. This was done in order to
>     prevent the IP getting banned for too agressive behavior by the
>     speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net> servers. It can be
>     reactivated - I'm open to ideas.
>
>     Here's a sample graph from a slave probe (1 hour polling):
>
>     http://imgur.com/cTJdHCS
>
>     @tobi: if you feel this plugin could be useful and should be
>     included in
>     the main release, let me know and I'll see how I can merge it...
>
>     Feedback welcome,
>
>     Regards,
>     Adrian

TELEKOM ROMANIA
Adrian Popa
Expert Engineer
Applications, Security & EMS
35-37 Calea Victoriei, Palatul Telefoanelor
Mobile: +40 766 673 290
Phone: +40 21 400 7567