[smokeping-users] Alerting when a Slave stops sending data

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:50:10 CEST 2018

Hello,

I have a Debian Jessie box with Smokeping 2.6 installed on it.

It receives data from Slaves over the Internet (10 slaves or so).
Each Slave roughly monitors xDSL or fiber links.

Every monday, I can see that data from one or two slaves is missing.
Then I remotely restart smokeping service on slave where data is missing.

I would like to implement something like:

- if no data at all from Slave for a given period of time, then restart
Slave's smokeping service and send a Notice email

- if no data at all from Slave for a longer period of time and Slave's
restart already attempted, then send a Warning email

As Slaves data is stored on a known directory ins Master's filesystem, I
think I can detect when data from a slave has not been lately  modified,
reading directories of files modification times.

Is there a better way to do so ? Alert's settings seem more appropriate
when WAN links in my case, are slower.

Best regards