[smokeping-users] detecting short periods (1-2 seconds) of high latency

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Mar 19 17:23:56 CET 2019

Hi,

Can Smokeping be tweaked to gather data when such short intervals are
involved or is there another tool anybody would recommend for this
situation?

I've observed short periods of high latency on a G.fast DSL connection
(Swisscom / Init7, Turris Omnia with a G.fast SFP)

It's been happening for some months now.

The periods are between 1 to 2 seconds and it is noticeable on VoIP
calls.  It happens very regularly, maybe every few minutes, maybe every
minute.

On a VoIP call, we either notice a "fast-forward" sound as late packets
are played quickly or we notice a gap of 1 to 2 seconds.

If anybody can suggest how I can gather data about this it would be very
welcome.

Regards,

Daniel