[mrtg-developers] Re: IPv6 support for MRTG

Rafael Martinez Torres rafael.martinez at novagnet.com
Mon Apr 21 17:20:21 MEST 2003

Hi all :

Sorry for delay, I have just read your messages on patchs for MRTG-ipv6.

I think we should continue discussion on mrtg-developers list.

 Give me a day to evaluate Lorenzo's patch. It was great to see how we
have agreed on some lines on a first look.

Just a day...I think I can contribute to improve the patch with some
comments...

My patch stands for as well as for DNS names as for numeric IPv6
addresses, and also is  backwards compatible...

 But does yours accept public@[2003::14]:161...?

Because they are many SNMP IPv6-only severs , you can try net-snmp ...

This is is a very weak point at mrtg script -not the cfgmaker-, since the
Perl underliyng language will evaluate 3:public@[2003::141]:161
impatiently and makes mrtg crash when no dns names are used. ( Operator
expected at "[" )...

(From file mrtg.cfg...

Target[[2003::14]_3]:			3:public@[2003::14]:161

...)

Again, I haven't tested your patch , just  read the mail above... Give me
a day to read te doc ...

Yours seems to check better IPv6 modules's availability...Acknowledges for
your great work... I had no time to program these constraints...

Write you tomorow...Give me a day...