[mrtg] Re: Manually Editing Log Files

Scheidel, Greg Greg_Scheidel at ed.gov
Tue Dec 14 18:56:35 MET 1999

Sorry, I've read that text file before and the information there is not what
I was asking for.  The file does an excellent job of giving a summary of
each section except the initial line with the "incoming bytes counter" and
the "outgoing bytes counter", and it also does not give any information at
all on manually editing the log files.

The counters in the log files that I have do not match a straight count of
the bytes in the subsequent lines, not do they match a total calculated from
the information in the subsequent lines.

Take the difference in seconds for column A (timestamp in non-skip seconds)
between the 2nd and 3rd lines.  Multiply that times column B (average
incoming transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement)
for the 2nd line.  Repeat for all subsequent lines in the log file (ie
difference between column A for 3rd and 4th lines times column B for 3rd
line, difference between column A for 4th and 5th lines times column B for
4th line, etc).  Sum up the calculated totals.  If the "incoming bytes
counter" on the first line were just a straight counter, the calculated sum
would match the "incoming bytes counter" - but it does not.

This leads me to believe that the "incoming bytes counter" and "outgoing
bytes counter" are not just straight counters.

Additional input on this problem (see original e-mail question included
below) would be greatly appreciated.

Greg S.