[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG on NT - Problems

Utsav Ratti Utsav_Ratti at MCKINSEY.COM
Tue Jul 27 22:33:21 MEST 1999

I'm running the five minute scripts that were also in the mrtg directory,
and I'm using the at scheduler to run them. So far I've had no problems.
There is also a separate scheduler in the mrtg directory that runs on NT as
a service. I haven't tried it out, but perhaps it can help you.

As for performance, I understand that RRDtool (also by Tobias Oetiker) is
supposed to be much improved. It's basically MRTG on speed. I guess I'll
find out for myself if I get a chance to set it up on Linux within the next
few days.

Utsav

cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com on 07/27/99 02:50:26 PM
To:   mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
cc:    (bcc: Utsav Ratti)
Subject:  [mrtg] Running MRTG on NT - Problems

Lately I"ve been having some problems running MRTG.  I'm running NT 4
Server SP5 and monitoring about 35 devices with about 10 different OIDs
on each device.

I'm using the MRTG service for NT that I got off the link from the MRTG
home page.

I've noticed that lately the service has stopped updating every few
days. When I stop it and restart it it seems to run fine for a few more
days.

I have 10 configuration files, and I run them from a CMD file that gets
run every 5 mins.  Now I've looked at the task mamanger and it seems
that the CMDs seem to build up and not get released.  They are still
listed in Task mamanger but with 0 mem.  Could these piling up cause
the stopping of the service?

I've increased from 5 to 6 minutes now to see if perhaps this makes a
difference.  Perhaps the CMD was overlapping or something.

Can someone suggest a better method of running MRTG every 5 mins on NT
without much resource hogging?

Thanks
Chris