[mrtg] Re: Available OIDs for NT

Stieers, Ken KStieers at DainRauscher.com
Wed Jul 28 20:32:43 MEST 1999

In order to add ANY PerfMon object to that shipped with the PERFM.ZIP file
here's what you need to do (You need the RESKIT and PerfM.zip for this):

(all commands are run on the server being montiored)
1.  Install the PERFM.Zip stuff.
2.  Look a the PERFMIB.ini that comes with PERFM.ZIP and look at the last
number used.  The last time I looked it was 27.  Remember that number!
3.  Run PERF2MIB to extract the MIB data from the PerfMon objects on the
machine.  You'll create a mib file (newmib.mib) and an INI file newmib.ini.
The objects can be any of the objects you can access in PerfMon.  If the
object name has a space in it, put double quotes around it.  The numbers
MUST be unique, including those already installed (you'll lose other stuff
you may be montioring otherwise).  ie.  If you are adding to just the raw
PERFM.ZIP stuff, you need to start with 28.  If you use the example below,
next time you add more objects you'll start with 31.
    ex: (all one line)
	perf2mib newmib.mib newmib.ini MSExchangeMTA 28 mta "MSExchangeMTA
Connections" 29 mtaconn MSExchangeIMC 30 imc

4.  Concatenate the old ini file and the new ini file:
	copy perfmib.ini+newmib.ini perfmib.ini
5.  Compile the new mib in with the old one:
	mibcc -omib.bin -n -t -w2 smi.mib LMMIB2.MIB mib_ii.mib perfmib.mib
exchange.mib
6.  Stop the SNMP service Replace the PERFMIB.INI and MIB.BIN and then
restart the SNMP service
   ex.
	net stop snmp
	copy perfmib.ini %systemroot%\system32\perfmib.ini
	copy mib.bin %systemroot%\system32\mib.bin
	net start snmp

Now you'll have your new objects and they'll be at OIDS that start with
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.28, .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.29, etc.

If you have a mib browser (like Getif) don't forget to add the PerfMib.mib
in to the proper directory, compile it, whatever.

HTH,

Ken