[mrtg] Re: "cricket" - a util similar to MRTG

Michael P. Burton mpburton at teleport.com
Fri Jul 30 02:13:59 MEST 1999

Cricket is indeed a front end for RRDTOOL. Think about it
as how MRTG is a "front end" for rateup. MRTG packages the
files together, while Cricket/RRDTOOL are seperate programs.

Cricket, in my opinion, is very powerful and very fast
compared to MRTG, and is much better at handling multiple
sources of information. Also, instead of one monolothic
config file, you have a tree/branch system, which allows
you to make config changes either on a single file, on an
entire sub-directory (routers, or switches) or over the
entire tree.

The downside is that Cricket is just ver 0.69, and isn't
quite all it's cracked up to be. It's difficult to get
questions answered and there are still a few bugs in the
code yet. As time goes on however, I'm sure things will shore
up a bit. You should check it out and play around with it
to see what you think. It is awfully nice if you are running a Cisco
house, but if not, you're stuck hacking your own OIDs into the
config (A process which is documented.)

Michael

:>I heard of a utility similar to MRTG called "cricket" but
:>have not been able to locate some information about it. Does
:>anyone have any information on it?
:
:   Cricket is a front end to RRDTool. The pair (I think) make up a
:package that is similar to MRTG. RRDTool collects the data and
:Cricket graphs it. I think. (Anybody please correct me.)
:
:   RRDTool was also written by Tobias Oetiker and can be found at
:http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/. Cricket's page is
:at http://www.munitions.com/~jra/cricket/.
:
:
:
:--
:* To unsubscribe from the mrtg mailing list, send a message with the
:  subject: unsubscribe to mrtg-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
:

Michael P. Burton          "Love is like racing across the frozen tundra
Network Engineer, DCII      on a snowmobile which flips over,
Portland State University   trapping you underneath.
                            At night, the ice-weasels come." - Nietchze