[mrtg] Re: IPCHAINS .. the OID stuff? Mrtg configmaker?

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at denalics.net
Sat Nov 13 00:19:39 MET 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Web Master wrote:

> Okay, I have redone and redone my IPCHAINS scripts..
> I get byte counters reporting in /proc/net/ip_fwchains
> however,  snmpd -xL reports no traffic at all on any chain.
> snmpd is running as snmpd -A -f
> but configmaker keeps making a config for all the virtual interefaces.
> They get no traffic reported there either, using either snmpd with the
> -A option or not.
> configmaker never even makes the chains as seperate reports, only the
> virutal IP's (again, they show no trafffic)

	A virtual interface is not really a virtual interface.  A
virtual interface acts as a second ip/mask bound to the network card.

	Anyway, all traffic is logged on the standard interface, as
the eth0:0 setup is just another name for the real interfaces second
ip.

	One might be able to work some magic with accounting rules
based on -s and -d addresses, but not the -i <interface> flag.

 ---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.