[mrtg] Re: 5300 MRTG/OID question

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Tue Nov 30 21:17:14 MET 1999

that sounds right, but external scripts aren't so bad. especially if
you're running a unix or linux variant.

if you get some command line SNMP tools you can manually SNMPGET the
OIDs you are interested in, use awk to snatch the numerical value you
need, then run the math.

I use external scripts extensively in Solaris machines to get processor
usage and disk space and other useful things. MRTG will happily take a
script output as long as it's output is of the form

<first value to be graphed>
<second value to be graphed>
<device uptime>
<device name>

the MRTG docs show more info on how to incorporate scripts, and the
archives on this mailing list have a few examples also. if you do some
digging I'm sure you'll get it working.

Neil