[mrtg] Re: Threshold info

David C Prall dcp at dcptech.com
Tue Oct 5 13:32:24 MEST 1999

> My question is relating to the threshold feature of MRTG.  My
understanding
> of it is that when a specified threshold is exceeded, that MRTG can
execute
> an external program.  The question I have is this:  I saw a post
relating to
> MRTG passing variables to the program executed.  In my environment,
I'd kind
> of like to know whether that's possible because I'd like to forgo
> individually editing 195 different scripts that MRTG will call.  I'm
> probably going to write the perl or VBScript process to e-mail an
alert upon
> a passed threshold, but I'd like to know if I can use one script with
the
> variable of the target name and threshold passed to it, or if I'll
have to
> have a script for each target.  Also, if anyone has any suggestions or
other
> recommendations as to how to accomplish this, I'd appreciate it.  I'm
just
> looking for something to alert me of low disk space and processor
spikes in
> the interim between now and the time we implement OpenView or some
other
> network management suite (and who knows how long that might take me :)

The program is passed the Target ID, Threshold, and Current Value. You
could use the Target ID as a value to base your information on. Of
course it is going to be one long script.

David C Prall, MCNE MCSE          DCP Technologies
dcp at dcptech.com                       Alexandria, VA
dcppage at dcptech.com               http://www.dcptech.com