[mrtg] Re: Monitoring via MAC as opposed to IP
lsheldon at creighton.edu
Tue Oct 5 20:30:47 MEST 1999
> I searched the archives and web site, and couldn't seem
> to see this addressed; is it possible to monitor a device
> via MAC rather than IP? We have some switches here that don't
> have IPs, and I am being told to try to find a way to monitor
> them via their MAC addresses. Any suggestions?
I'd hate to be confused with somebody who actually knows what they are
talking about, but I think the answer is "not with SNMP", since SNMP
is an IP protocol.
Some of our network equipment alleges that it speaks IPX-SPX ("Novell")
and some (the same ones, in some cases) allege that they speak LAT--but
I've never used that facility.
If there are routers involved, it is going to have to be a protocol the
routers speak, since MAC addresses (generally speaking) don't cross
routers in any useful way.
- L. F. (Larry) Sheldon, Jr. -
. Unix Systems and Network Administration .
- Creighton University Computer Center-Old Gym -
. 2500 California Plaza .
- Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. 68178 Two identifying characterstics -
. lsheldon at creighton.edu of System Administrators: .
- 402 280-2254 (work) Infallibility, and the ability to -
. 402 681-4726 (cellular) learn from their mistakes. .
- 402 332-4622 (residence) -
. http://www.creighton.edu/~lsheldon Adapted from Stephen Pinker .
* To unsubscribe from the mrtg mailing list, send a message with the
subject: unsubscribe to mrtg-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
* The mailing list archive is at http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg
More information about the mrtg