[mrtg] Re: Can mrtg just read from file instead of SNMP?

Leonardo Rodrigues coelho at persogo.com.br
Wed Oct 6 17:25:43 MEST 1999

SURE it does !!!!

Try
Target[yourtarget]: `/yourdir/yourscript.sh` on Unix world
Target[yourtarget]: `c:\scriptsdir\whatthehell.bat` on Windows World

and yourscript.sh treats your logfiles and return values as MRTG want them
1 line: IN value
2 line: OUT value
3 line: the device uptime ( this is a string, no need to be correct. I use
'a lot of time' on some scripts i use )
4 line: the device hostname ( just a string too, no need to be correct,
just for display)

Doing this, you can monitor whatever you want ! Just make a script that
returns the expected values to MRTG ! BINGO !