[mrtg] Re: ATM monitoring on Xylan switches

Eric S. Johnson esj at cs.fiu.edu
Fri Oct 8 23:29:54 MEST 1999

> I would like to know if anyone has had trouble monitoring ATM ports on Xylan
> switches or any other switches for that matter.
> Other ports are retrieving data and graphing fine... good program!
> I am assuming I have a MIB variable problem, but Xylan doesn't seem
> to think that is likely.  Anyone out there ever run into
> this and what things did you do to fix it?

I monitor a IBM8274 (which is a xylan switch resold by IBM). I monitor the
ATM ports, but MIBII doesn't have normal interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets
or interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets counters for the ATM ports.

I found a cell counter that seems to work in the enterprise mib.
.1.3.6.1.4.1.800.2.9.1.6.1.1.3.SLOT.PORT (I don't have the symbolic name
handy, sorry) Take that and multiply by 48 or 53 (depending on your
religion ;) and you get a reasonable byte count for the port.