[mrtg] Re: help creating "mrtg.cfg" file ?

George D. Nincehelser george at aaih.net
Thu Oct 14 04:52:30 MEST 1999

Well, you do need to modify the working directory, at least.

I typically create a master .cfg file (i.e. mrtg.cfg) using one of my target
systems.  I then modify the working directory to reflect where I want the
files to be stored.

After that, I create other .cfg files for each network element as needed
using cfgmaker, and give that file a descriptive name in case I need to
refer to it later.

Then, I simply open the resulting file, copy the necessary sections that I'm
interested in, and paste them into my master .cfg file.   (Make sure you
don't copy in multiple working directory paths, though)

Using this procedure, the only time I've had to go in and tweak the master
.cfg file is if I want to change some of the parameters of the graphing
(e.g. scaling, legends, etc)

cfgmaker does a decent job of getting basic graphs out.  After you've done
the basics, save your original master .cfg file (in case you really mess
things up) and try modifying the .cfg file with some of the many options
available and look at the results.  Learning by experimentation is the best
advice I can give.

George