[mrtg] Re: SAR and MRTG

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Tue Oct 19 20:45:42 MEST 1999

There's a file in the MRTG distibution "doc/logfile-format.txt" that
discusses the format of the .log file.

Programs that pass data to MRTG should output 4 lines of data.

1. integer (typically incoming bytes)
2. integer (typically outgoing bytes)
3. string (target uptime)
4. string (target name)

The integers are put in the logfile.  The strings are put in the .html
page.

I'm not aware of specific programs that take data from SAR, but check the
contrib directory.

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Jay Orr wrote:

> I had seen a link to some other MRTG tools, but I have yet to find what
> I'm looking for. I'd like to take the stats from something like SAR and
> graph them.
>
> Is there a tool like that?
>
> If not, what is MRTG expecting for data? I look at the log files and the
> first line has 3 entries, and the rest have 5. What do these represent? I
> guess I'm asking where to get info to write scripts to add stuff to MRTG..
>
> Thanks!

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /