[mrtg] Re: [mrtg]Newbie question

Nail, Thomas nthomas at sbis.sbc.com
Wed Oct 20 17:16:36 MEST 1999

OK, I started the snmpd by running:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/snmpd start

and now, when I try to configure it, I get the following:

[root at gordon run]# ./cfgmaker public at sistec.com.mx
# Add a WorkDir: /some/path line to this file

SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "sistec.com.mx" [200.36.1.150].161
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 68810751
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for sysDescr sysContact sysName sysLocation ifNumber
sysObjectID on public at sistec.
com.mx

Fernando,
try doing an snmpwalk on your system:
	snmpwalk <host> <community>
which will give you all of the OID's accessible to your snmp agent. If you
can get it to do that, then it should work fine. My guess is that you have a
problem in the community string or that the proper MIBs aren't being loaded.
I dunno much more than that.
HTH,

Tom Nail
SBC