[mrtg] Re: mrtg-2.8.8 with use RRDTool and maxBytes

lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 21 11:09:22 MEST 1999

Hi Matija!

In article <199910201111.NAA01430 at rzenik.arnes.si> you wrote:
> Both MaxBytes and AbsMax are completely ignored,

Correct.

> and the value gets written to the rrd file regardless of size. If the rrd
> file has been "tuned" for the right maximum value, that's OK, but of
> course the tuning has to be done by hand, which sort of makes MaxBytes
> pointless...
>
> Has anybody come across this yet and dug through the code to see what
> needs to be patched?

Look at the lines where the rrd is created ("RRD::create ..."). You have to
change the lines

         "DS:ds0:$up_abs:600:U:U",
         "DS:ds1:$up_abs:600:U:U",

Replace the "U"s with something like ":0:$absmax" and it might work. You
probably want to calculate different values for ds0 and ds1 ($absmax1 from
$maxvi ...).

Of course this only takes effect when creating new rrds.

> Is anybody planning to use useRRDTOOL (so that it's worth spending time to
> improve it and submit patches) or has everybody switched to cricket, Orca,
> nrg or something else?

I get about one mail a week about mrtg/rrd so I think there are many people
using this patch/cgi. Please send me your patches and not Tobi. I will
incorporate it if possible. Remember that I try to keep the changes to mrtg
minimal as I don't want to make a different mrtg distribution (mrtg should
work without userrdtool as usual).

My address for patches: Rainer.Bawidamann at informatik.uni-ulm.de

Rainer

Rainer.Bawidamann at informatik.uni-ulm.de