[mrtg] Re: Cisco Router Monitoring

David C Prall dcp at dcptech.com
Tue Oct 26 21:48:51 MEST 1999

> Hello,
>
> We are running MRTG 2.8.8 on an NT 4.0 Box.
>
> It runs awesome in monitoring our bandwidth but now we would like to
get
> into monitoring someother things like FECNS, BECNS, Frame Errors, CIR,
> etc.
>
> My question is how do I go about doing this?  From reading the list
from
> time to time I think I have to get a MIB.  Is this MIB from Cisco?
>
> Once I get the MIB how do I tell MRTG to use the MIB?
>
> What's the difference between a MIB and an OID?
>
> Would we have just one mrtg.cfg file still or would there be multiple
> mrtg.cfg's?  Because I don't see how it could graph all those things
on
> one html page.
The MIB file is a definition of the OID's. Use GETIF to browse the MIB
file. You'll get the MIB file from cisco, they should be on the
Documentation CD. It will graph everything based on the target name. You
can have multiple targets in a single config `perl cfgmaker
public at 10.1.1.1 >> mrtg.cfg` to add new items.

David C Prall, MCNE MCSE          DCP Technologies
dcp at dcptech.com                       Alexandria, VA
dcppage at dcptech.com               http://www.dcptech.com