[mrtg] Re: Cisco Router Monitoring

Stieers, Ken KStieers at dainrauscher.com
Tue Oct 26 21:55:14 MEST 1999

> It runs awesome in monitoring our bandwidth but now we would
> like to get
> into monitoring someother things like FECNS, BECNS, Frame Errors, CIR,
> etc.
>
> My question is how do I go about doing this?  From reading
> the list from
> time to time I think I have to get a MIB.
> Is this MIB from Cisco?

No, its from IETF.  Look on the net for RFC1315.

> Once I get the MIB how do I tell MRTG to use the MIB?

Look in the config.html file for LoadMibs

> What's the difference between a MIB and an OID?

MIB = Managment Infomation Base.  Its a database of information built in a
tree format.  MIB files are usually text files of specific sections of the
tree.

OID = Object IDentifier.  Its the numerical id of a specific point or node
in the tree.

> Would we have just one mrtg.cfg file still or would there be multiple
> mrtg.cfg's?  Because I don't see how it could graph all those
> things on
> one html page.

Each target gets its own page with daily, weekly, monthly and yearly graphs.
Use indexmaker.pl (in mrtg\run) to build a page to reach all of these from.

HTH,

Ken