[mrtg] Re: more contributed configs?

Stieers, Ken KStieers at dainrauscher.com
Wed Oct 27 14:03:20 MEST 1999

Justin,

The docs for external sources are in the config.html file in the section on
target definitions.  Taken from that file:

if you want to monitor something which does not provide data via snmp you
can use some external program to do the data gathering.
The external command must return 4 lines of output:

Line 1
current state of the first variable, normally 'incoming bytes count'

Line 2
current state of the second variable, normally 'outgoing bytes count'

Line 3
string (in any human readable format), telling the uptime of the target.

Line 4
string, telling the name of the target.

Depending on the type of data your script returns you might want to use the
'gauge' or 'absolute' arguments for the Options keyword.
Example:

 Target[ezwf]: `/usr/local/bin/df2mrtg /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0`

Note the use of the backticks (`), not apostrophes (') around the command.

Basically that means that the out put must look like this:

<integer for the "in" number>
<integer for the "out" number>
<uptime as a string>
<target name as a string>

So, if the results of your external script were 4 for in, 5 for out, "a long
time" for uptime and the thing being monitored was called "my thing" the
output should look like this:

4
5
a long time