[mrtg] Re: mrtg and billing WAS: Total bandwidth usage and My BIG problem

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Thu Oct 28 17:44:13 MEST 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Rob Walker wrote:

> Frank> I think you are right. They are mixing up there Bits and Bytes.
> Frank> I agree that MRTG is not the right tool for billing. I'd never
> Frank> dream of using it for that purpose.
>
> however....
>
> we plan on putting a one line hack into mrtg which will take every
> sample and put it into a database (so we don't have to do two queries
> per 5 minutes), and bring that out for billing information, sorting,
> and lopping off the top 5%.

Someone I know of had a similar idea, except he was going to subtract
ifinerrors and ifouterrors from each target, and then do a 95th
percentile.

What about the idea of using MRTG with RRDTool, doing a RRD dump of the
file at the end of a month, and then going through the data?

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /