[mrtg] Re: mrtg and billing WAS: Total bandwidth usage and My BIG problem

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Thu Oct 28 19:34:49 MEST 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Rob Walker wrote:

> Chris> What about the idea of using MRTG with RRDTool, doing a RRD
> Chris> dump of the file at the end of a month, and then going through
> Chris> the data?
>
> when does rrdtool compress the data?  I thought that every day it went
> through and dumped one day's worth down to the average samples, so
> that it could keep the database down to a reasonable size for forever.

Good point.

I suppose for the purpose of billing samples, you would need to keep EVERY
reading taken during your intervals.

With MRTG, RRDTool keeps the same number of "5 minute" samples that rateup
did (600, if I'm not mistaken).  But, if you wanted to, you could create a
second RRD file that was structured to keep track of every sample.

If you're doing 5 minute samples for 1 month (2592000 seconds average)
that would be 8640 samples.

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /