[mrtg] Re: mrtg and billing WAS: Total bandwidth usage and My BIG problem

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Thu Oct 28 19:40:27 MEST 1999

Chris> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Rob Walker wrote: What about the idea of
Chris> using MRTG with RRDTool, doing a RRD dump of the file at the
Chris> end of a month, and then going through the data?

>> when does rrdtool compress the data?  I thought that every day it
>> went through and dumped one day's worth down to the average
>> samples, so that it could keep the database down to a reasonable
>> size for forever.

Chris> Good point.

Chris> I suppose for the purpose of billing samples, you would need to
Chris> keep EVERY reading taken during your intervals.

and I have no problem with backing these up and keeping them for
forever, since we might need to go back and audit our ISP or provide
justification for some large ISP bills.

Chris> With MRTG, RRDTool keeps the same number of "5 minute" samples
Chris> that rateup did (600, if I'm not mistaken).  But, if you wanted
Chris> to, you could create a second RRD file that was structured to
Chris> keep track of every sample.

Chris> If you're doing 5 minute samples for 1 month (2592000 seconds
Chris> average) that would be 8640 samples.

that's fine.  what I am really interested in is the gnuplot command
line which did the four hour stuffs, since I think i might be able to
put that into mrtg with not too much problem.

rob