[mrtg] Re: 95th percentile?

George D. Nincehelser george at aaih.net
Mon Sep 27 01:05:32 MEST 1999

You don't *have* to graph it, but doing so should sure make make it a lot
easier to explain to your boss or customer (or maybe yourself) what it
means.  (e.g. "If this little line (traffic) goes higher than that little
line (95th percentile) a little to often, open up your wallet.)

Since the 95th percentile figure translates directly into $$$, everyone one
(including the non-technical types) are really concerned with what the value
is and where it is going.  It needs to be expressed quickly and clearly, and
putting it on the graph seems to me a good way to do it.  Having this info
would give everyone viewing them a clear view of our costs and ideas on how
to manage them.

I'd really like to see a historic 95th percentile (like last month's billing
period) and a "current" 95th percentile based on usage in this billing
period.

Giving this some more thought, I'm a little unclear on the current 5-minute
MRTG graphs...Do the 5-minute graphs show peaks, or are they showing an
average?  I've always assumed it was an averaged value, but I turned on
"WithPeaks" to see what would happen.  I then get peaks on all the other
graphs, but *not* on the 5-minute graph.  What am I not understanding here?

George