[mrtg] Re: 95th percentile?
lsheldon at creighton.edu
Mon Sep 27 15:30:58 MEST 1999
> > Giving this some more thought, I'm a little unclear on the
> > current 5-minute
> > MRTG graphs...Do the 5-minute graphs show peaks, or are they
> > showing an
> > average?
> Technically its a rate, not an average. Its not created by taking multiple
> polls, its ONE poll.
I am not a statistician, I don't even play one anywhere.
I think Ken is close, but my understanding is that it is actually the average
rate over the "5-minute" period--the arithmetic is I believe is something like
the number of bytes counted in the "5-minute" period divided by the number of
seconds in the period.
I put "5-minute" in quotes because I think MRTG records the actual time-stamp
for the sample, and given the vagaries of computers and such, the next
sample is not going to be exactly five minutes later.
- L. F. (Larry) Sheldon, Jr. -
. Unix Systems and Network Administration .
- Creighton University Computer Center-Old Gym -
. 2500 California Plaza .
- Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. 68178 Two identifying characterstics -
. lsheldon at creighton.edu of System Administrators: .
- 402 280-2254 (work) Infallibility, and the ability to -
. 402 681-4726 (cellular) learn from their mistakes. .
- 402 332-4622 (residence) -
. http://www.creighton.edu/~lsheldon Adapted from Stephen Pinker .
* To unsubscribe from the mrtg mailing list, send a message with the
subject: unsubscribe to mrtg-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
* The mailing list archive is at http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg
More information about the mrtg