[mrtg] Re: One more question..

Mitch Vincent mitch at venux.net
Thu Sep 30 18:03:40 MEST 1999

> Yes, there are quite a few "bozos" here who don't realize that your time
> management problems require an exemption from the list regarding the issue
> of reading the FAQ, web site, or even the docs that came with the program.

Sarcasm, I love it.

I did read the FAQ. It and the place it suggested I look held no other
information on my question).

> Personally, I think if you want to ask a FAQ here, that's fine.

The question is in the FAQ, the "Can I graph only one value".. Go and look
at the answer.. "Look in the contrib dir for example configuration files"..
Then go look in the contrib directory..

 There is absolutely no reference to what I'm doing in the docs, I was only
guessing that it was possible. MRTG really should have a different name, it
does much more than graph traffic measured with SNMP. It graphs -- anything,
with or without SNMP! :-)

>The list
> being what it is, you'll nearly always get an answer.

And all I have gotten so far today has been sarcasm (like this email) and
other even more rude responses in public. Things like "You're a f**king
idiot".

Everyone seems to think it's an easy question to answer and wants to flame
me for not knowing , yet no one has posted one response that actually had to
do with the question.

>You'll also get
> chewed a little for not reading the FAQ.

I did. Show me the answer in the FAQ _please_. If it's there I must be
completely blind.

The *only* reference to this is a single half-sentance. "Look in the contrib
directory for sample cfg files". That's not even a yes or a no.

>You shouldn't be surprised about
> that, and I don't think you've grounds to complain.  Just realize that you
> brought it on yourself, scroll through the list looking for the solution
> (instead of scrolling through the FAQ looking for the solution), and move
> on.

See above comments on the FAQ.

> Because, seriously, your failures at time management don't result in any
> enforceable contract for help from this list.  ;)

Time management has nothing to do with this.. I simply have a lot to do and
little time to do it in.. Maybe you haven't been in this position before :
(at 11am) "We need this done by 3pm. We don't care how you do it, just do
it.".. Regardless, if you don't want to give me a hand, don't.  I have no
desire in flaming, arguing or being rude anymore to anyone else. I thought
this was a list for help with the operation and configuration of MRTG. I
guess it's just a place where people hang out and read email for the hell of
it..

Oh yeah, you do realize that you wrote this in response to an email thanking
the list for their understanding and help, right? Now that's irony..

Thanks to those who gave me a hand yesterday and thanks to those who wasted
their and my time today with flaming me too :-)

- Mitch