[mrtg] graph dropouts ... again!

Fri Dec 1 08:18:09 MET 2000

Greetings from Nepal!
I just upgraded to 2.9.4 from 2.8.12 after using it for a nearly a year
without any major glitch on a RH6 system with PII 300mhz/128 MB ram.
I am using a single global.cfg with forks=4 and include: options.

I have it running well in the daemon mode but lately I have observed that
there are dropouts in the some graphs at times ( in random ) without any
apparent reason. This never used to happen before with 2.8.12 running via
a cron job every 5 mins. on the same machine. This was understandable id
the remote system being monitored had a painfully slow link and mrtg
timed-out due to it. But here I am talking about an 3640 Eth interface
that is on the same network segment as the MRTG host with a 100 MB switch
connecting them.
This happens for our high speed Serial interface as well.

I then installed MRTG on another RH6 machine (just to make sure) on the
other ETH segment of the 3640 to monitor the same ETH interface but got
similar dropouts at times.

I was going thru the archive and someone suggested using RRD to do the
maths part. BTW it is not due to MAXing out too.
I have attached a graph and you can see it dropping several times a day.

I feel the new MRTG is not able to capture data at those times, somehow!
Any insight as to what may be going on?

Rgds,

\\Ritesh

  |  r i t e s h  r a j  j o s h i