[mrtg] Re: Accuracy for billing?

Chris Josephes cjoseph at mr.net
Fri Jan 14 15:52:52 MET 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Drew T. Nichols wrote:

>   Can someone comment on MRTG's use when it comes to billing and
> pay-per-kbps?

Technically, MRTG will loose data when creating the weekly, monthly, and
yearly graphs.  It's better for graphing traffic usage, not necessarily
traffic accounting.  On the other hand, MRTG is using the same source that
any traffic billing package would probably use (the router SNMP counters).

But since it's graphing the maximum values, you should always see the
maximum value that you have used during certain periods.  I'm not quite
sure what this 80% thing is your ISP came up with, but I don't claim to be
an expert either.

 Chris Josephes      __/ MRNet/Onvoy   \
 chrisj at mr.net    __/   www.onvoy.com  /