[mrtg] LD_LIBRARY_PATH & cron errors..

Demian Hanks demian at csbs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 25 20:20:33 MET 2000

I have just set up mrtg 2.8.9, the compile of all the dependencies
seemed
to go fine as well as mrtg itself, but I am recieving email errors from
cron:

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 9
 with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'xxx.xxx.xxx.3.1'
 code was 9, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

ld.so.1: /export/src/new/mrtg-2.8.9/run//rateup: fatal: libpng.so.2:
open
failed: No such file or directory

There are a few messages in the archive that touch on this problem, but
I haven't been able to find one that resolves it.
There is one message from tkennedy at newsreal.com had explains that this
is an LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem
(http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg00381.html),
but I can't seem to get my cron to set this environment correctly.

I came to the same conclusion. If I run mrtg by hand in a shell that has

LD_LIB.. defined,
everything is fine, but run from cron it complains.

I know I can write a script to handle this, but it seems like the wrong
way go(?).
I would rather recompile, if I can find a way to resolve it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Demian Hanks
CSBS Network Admin