[mrtg] Calculating Leased Line Usage - Are they full duplex?

Barry Young byoung at europe.chep.com
Mon Jun 12 17:24:35 MEST 2000

Sorry folks...I should probably have been a little more
specific in my question.  The question related to the leased
line bandwidth utilisation not Frame Relay. Thanks to those
persons providing F/R related answers anyway :)

I am validating whether we need to upgrade a 512Kb leased
line. By using MRTG to monitor the inOctets & OutOctets of
the serial interface I am seeing traffic in both directions
but want to clarify if I should add both of these figures
together to measure how close we are to full capacity.

Hence the question.  Does a leased line operate in full duplex
mode (ie. 512Kb in each direction concurrently)? Or is it just
512Kb in total, regardless of inbound or outbound direction.

Thanks for any advice...

Could someone please answer a basic question that has been
annoying me recently.

We have a 512Kb leased line connecting to a Frame Relay cloud,
so should I expect to be able to support a maximum of 512Kb at any
one time (ie. total usage = sent bytes + received bytes).  Or does it
operate in a full-duplex fashion with 512Kb available in both directions
at the same time.

I suspect it may be the former but would appreciate some confirmation.
In addition, I think I remember someone from this mailing-list mentioning
that T1 lines do operate in full-duplex mode.  Is my memory correct and
does this apply to E1 lines in Europe also?

If my suspicions are correct, I think I might have to adjust my MRTG
graphs to add both the sent & received octets to see the "true"
utilisation of our leased lines. Oh bother.....
- - - End of previous post - - -

DISCLAIMER:
This E-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
It may contain information that is covered by legal, professional or other
privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you must not use, disclose or
copy this transmission.

This E-mail is not intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any
legally binding obligation upon CHEP and/or any of its subsidiaries or
associated companies.

Neither CHEP nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of
this E-mail.

CHEP shall not be held liable to any person resulting from the use of any
information contained in this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who
acts or omits to do anything in reliance upon it.