[mrtg] Re: Move from rateup to RRDTool?

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Tue Nov 14 11:27:45 MET 2000

In article <sa101f2f.032 at mandtbank.com>,
	pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM ("Paul C. Williamson") writes:

> I am in the process of testing the newest mrtg (2.9.4) and was
> thinking about making the move to RRDTool from rateup. The only place
> I have seen to let mrtg know to use rrd is in the actual mrtg perl
> script. So do I understand it that all I need to do is add the line
> LogFormat: RRDTool to that file and the convert all my .log files to
> .rrd? Just seems too simple. I don't want to try, mainly because I
> have at least 5 tests scheduled in the next week where people in the
> company are depending on mrtg to give us insights into connection
> performance. I can't afford to have this go down, and I don't want to
> put off converting any longer, at least in our test lab.

To be on the safe side: Make a copy your mrtg config file, insert the
line  "Logformat: rrdtool" into the copy and start another mrtg job on
this config file. mrtg will convert the log files to rrd files for you.
There should be no need to change the paths as with logformat rrdtool
mrtg shouldn't touch any of the files of the other mrtg job.

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de