[mrtg] Re: SNMP Linux Problem

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Wed Nov 15 22:26:17 MET 2000

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 04:51:25PM -0000, Nasreddine Tabet-Aoul wrote:
> When I run the snmpwalk, I got the following first lines:
>
> system.sysDescr.0 = Linux es01 2.2.12-20smp #1 SMP Mon Sep 27 10:34:45 EDT
> 1999 i686
> system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.ucdavis.ucdSnmpAgent.linux
> system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (510685) 1:25:06.85
> system.sysContact.0 = Root <root at localhost> (configure
> /etc/snmp/snmp.local.conf

The last line should be a clue.

> Do I need to get something set on the LINUX machine

Yes.

> or do I have to do anything at the MRTG level?

No.

My guess is that you have the Redhat 6.1 Linux mutation and
UCD-SNMP from the RPM distributions.  The /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
file arrives with the localhost being unable to get anything
other than the top level SNMP OID's.

Try this test:
	snmpwalk localhost public iso
If you get about 2 pages of OID's, you have to tinker with the
security in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf.  If you get pages, and pages,
and pages, and pages of OID's, SNMP is working.

I don't have a RedHat 6.1 machine handy (I use Caldera 2.4).
I've suggested the above tweaks to 3 people in the newsgroup,
all of whom have apparently succeeded in fixing the problem,
and none of whom bothered to post the changes or answer my
email.  Also, one person fixed it by applying brute force by
installing the source, compiling, and re-installing over the
RPM version.  Apparently, the distribution snmpd.conf file
is a bit less restrictive.  You might try extracting the snmpd.conf
file from the source tree and see if it works better.  Y'er on
your own on this one.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice   831.426.1240 fax   831.421.6491 digital_pager