[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Cisco 2621 for packets (not bytes)

Shawn Barnhart swb at cmenoc.campbell-mithun.com
Wed Oct 11 16:46:27 MEST 2000

The problem I'm having is when I use a target like:

Target[packets]: ifInUcastPkts.1:cmty at router  +
ifInNUcastPkts.1:cmty at router&ifOutUcastPkts.1:cmty at router  +
ifOutNUcastPkts.1:cmty at router

(any line breaks are due to my email wrapping, they're not in my .cfg file)

I get this error:

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "router" [10.10.10.1].161
                  community: "cmty at routerifOutUcastPkts.1:cme"
                 request ID: 999718250
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ipAdEntIfIndex.ifInNUcastPkts.1 on
cmty at router&ifOutUcastPkts.1:cmty at router

It looks to me like I'm using the wrong syntax or my syntax isn't parsing
right.

So what *is* the correct syntax for summing multiple OIDs?  The example in
my docs is for summing  multiple interface octet counters (ie, Mrtg's
default target) not multiple OIDs.

Is this another case of needed to use a script to generate a simple integer
value for mrtg's consumption?