[mrtg] Re: Advice for conversion to RRDTool

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Sat Oct 28 10:12:31 MEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Grover" <isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu>
To: "Timothy Finkenstadt" <timothy at aloha.webkahuna.com>;
<mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 12:45 AM
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Advice for conversion to RRDTool

> Timothy Finkenstadt wrote:
>
> > Isaac, is there a convenient step guide to transitioning to RRDtool?  I
> > need to do so very soon because my mrtg box is overloaded and barely
> > keeps up.  Any advice on those CGIs?
>
> Unfortunately, there is no convenient step guide for a *full* conversion
to rrdtool.  The conversion to rrdtool is very easy: compile rrdtool, add
the necessary lines to your configs, and the next invocation of mrtg will
convert your *.log files to *.rrd files.  Easy as pie.  RTFM at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-rrd.html.

I have made a test-install of 2.9.4 with rrd.

I've put both both an existing file and some new interfaces.

The new .rrd files are all 94660 bytes, but the .rrd created from the old
.dat file is only 84740 bytes.
All rrd files are being updated.
The old interface is not being shown by 14all; the image is broken.

Leif