[mrtg] Server Performance

Nasreddine Tabet-Aoul Nasreddine.Tabet-Aoul at madgeweb.com
Tue Oct 31 16:31:10 MET 2000

Hi,

I have seen many literature about this around but I am still unclear how to
go about it.

We do have a number of servers HP and SUN and I am using 'mpstat' Unix
command to give me the CPU utilisation.

The actual output is of the following form:

CPU minf mjf xcal  intr ithr  csw icsw migr smtx  srw syscl  usr sys  wt idl
  3  954   0    0   256   56  188   36    0    0    0  1166   29   9   1  62
  3  281   0    0   244   44  101    3    0    0    0   433    1   3   0  96
  3  272   0    0   251   51   99    2    0    0    0   402    2   3   1  94

So as you can see, I can get everything that I want. My immediate problem
is to make this available for MRTG for graphing.

So what should I do at the level of the UNIX machine ?

What I should I do at the MRTG level (This is running on NT)?

I do appologize for these for these basic questions but I am relatively
novice in the
area. I've got MRTG running now monitoring our routers.

Many thanks and any other solutions are welcome as I need to extend this
later to monitor web servers and hit records.

Nas.