[mrtg] Re: Organizing Targets

Keith Kruepke lister at kruepke.com
Fri Sep 1 20:21:41 MEST 2000

Patrick,

I for one never use the cfgmaker output unmodified.  I usually just use cfgmaker to get a config for a router, and then I paste in the useful lines to a master config file.  Usually there are parts I wish to change anyway, such as the PageTop[] information.

I run just one .cfg file.  I put each city in a separate directory, using the Directory[] configuration line.  Multiple routers from the same city go to the same directory.  I also make sure to name the files (which means changing the target name that appears in the []'s) in a way that makes sense, if the cfgmaker name is not the best for a certain target.

In my case, I do not monitor every interface of every router.  I just focus on the WAN links (LAN stats are not nearly as interesting in most cases), and usually I will only monitor one router of the two that are connected to a particular link.  Sometimes this would be desired, but in my case, it is not.

I use the following options line to apply to ALL targets:

    Options[_]: bits, growright

These are just my preferences, so you can take them or leave them.

Regards,
Keith