[mrtg] Any other ways of refering to interfaces in config files?

Dave Parkin parkin at icrf.icnet.uk
Fri Sep 8 22:23:23 MEST 2000

I'm using mrtg to look at port traffic on a variety of cisco routers.
Currently my configs look like this:

Target[44lif-7500.1]: 1:commstr at 44lif-7500

(I use nis for the name resolution of 44lif-7500 to its ip address)

Problem is, if I add interfaces to the router and the number scheme gets
re-arranged (which isn't unreasonable!) but my mrtg configs start referring
to the wrong port. Is there another way of writing the configs so that they
somehow use the ip address of the port or a cisco port name (eg.
Serial8/1/3)

tia

Dave