[mrtg] Re: Help with installing MRTG-2.9.0 on a RH Linux box as its giving funny errors when I try to run cfgmaker...

Grendel grendel at interq.ad.jp
Sat Apr 7 14:15:29 MEST 2001

Hello, James,
	First off, it's not necessarily your RedHat that's old, but your Perl
is getting long in the tooth.
	The error message reads that it can't find the Perl module File::Spec.
Looking through the CPAN search page, it appears that File::Spec comes
with every version of Perl since 5.005. The documentation for the only
File::Spec module listed independently:

http://search.cpan.org/doc/RBS/File-Spec-0.82/README

... contains the following paragraph:

> This module should work with Perl 5.004 and earlier (Perl 5.005 and later
> include a version of File::Spec with the distribution, though this version
> could be more recent).  If it doesn't, bug reports and patches are welcome.

	To fix this problem, you can either upgrade Perl or upgrade to a more
recent version of RedHat that contains a more recent version of Perl. If
you choose to upgrade only Perl, you can problably get an RPM from
either http://www.cpan.org/ or http://www.rpmfind.net/, or you get can a
source tarball from the CPAN site. If you get the RPM it will probably
warn you of any dependency problems, and it will probably try to install
itself as /usr/bin/perl. If you get the source tarball and install the
newer version as /usr/local/bin/perl, you can keep both around "just in
case". More recent versions of Perl can be more strict about syntax in
subtle ways, and older things (Net::DNS for example) can suddenly start
spitting out strange errors, or they can up and stop working. You can
use which ever one you choose from then on by specifying the full path,
and you can set which one gets used by default by changing the order of
/usr/bin and /usr/bin/perl in your PATH environment variable.
	Hope that helps.

Best regards,
James Overbeck
GMO - http://www.gmo.co.jp/