[mrtg] Re: Help with installing MRTG-2.9.0 on a RH Linux box as its giving funny errors when I try to run cfgmaker...

Julien Borne julien.borne at detexis.thomson-csf.com
Mon Apr 9 11:11:18 MEST 2001

Well I think you may have had a sort of "problem" with your Perl installation or
something like that...
I had this error during my MRTG's installation, and after hours, found a
solution:
during your perl installation (well, during mine in fact: 5.6.0), many questions
are asked to you.
You have to tell the way where the perl scripts, libs and etc. will be searched
for: this wil define your @INC.
So my solution is to give the path to the initial installation of perl
(/usr/locql/src/perl-5.6.0 for me).
As an example, I give you the questions asked during perl's installation:

########################
There are some auxiliary files for perl5 that need to be put into a
private library directory that is accessible by everyone.

Pathname where the private library files will reside? (~name ok)
[/usr/local/src/perl-5.6.0/lib]

Perl5 contains architecture-dependent library files.  If you are
sharing libraries in a heterogeneous environment, you might store
these files in a separate location.  Otherwise, you can just include
them with the rest of the public library files.

Where do you want to put the public architecture-dependent libraries? (~name ok)

[/usr/local/src/perl-5.6.0/lib]

The installation process will create a directory for
site-specific extensions and modules.  Most users find it convenient
to place all site-specific files in this directory rather than in the
main distribution directory.

Pathname for the site-specific library files? (~name ok)
[/usr/local/src/perl-5.6.0/lib]
#########################

You can also choose to modify the config.sh file given with perl as it defines
the default answers for the configurator: just check the paths to perl and the
libs... (each time you see xxxlib='xxxx' , just put your path to perl's libs,
and when you see a path to perl such as /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, just replace
it by your perl's path)

Note that this solution may not be the best, but it worked well  for me.
Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Julien

James a écrit :

> Hi
> I have followed the unix-guide word for word and have installed MRTG but
> when I run 'cfgmaker public at 192.168.1.1' I get the following error :(
> -------
> [root at linux bin]# ./cfgmaker public at 192.168.1.1
> Can't locate File/Spec.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2 /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin
> /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux
> /5.00404 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/Pod/Us
> age.pm line 399.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/Pod/Usage.pm line 399.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./cfgmaker line 46.
> [root at linux bin]#
> ---------
>
> I thought I did something wrong so I ran through the whole procedure again
> and I still got the same error
> Does anybody know how I can get around this ?
>
> OP System is RH 5.2 (I know its old, do you think RH 7.0 will fix this
> problem) ?
>
> B.T.W. I have had MRTG-2.5.3 running on an NT box for the last 3 years with
> no problems but I really do prefer Unix (well Linux is more like it).
>
> I have promised my Boss that I would have this working sometime last week :(
>
> Many thanks,
>
> James.
>
> --

-- Type: text/x-vcard